Where To Get Your Degree Validated in Changzhou

Provincial policies regarding English and other teaching subject areas are always changing and evolving both here in Jiangsu province and across China in general. For example, the days of just having a TEFL certificate in Changzhou are long gone, and to be legal, you have to have at least a Bachelors from an accredited English speaking university. When I came to Changzhou back in 2014, only a photograph of this degree was needed to get a Foreign Expert Certificate. That changed many months ago. Now, if you are changing jobs, you have to go to a governmental office with a copy of your actual bachelors, masters, or doctorate.

For those in Jiangsu, this can be problematic. There are only five places in the province where you can get this done. They are Changzhou, Wuxi, Suzhou, Nanjing, and Huaian. If you live in any other Jiangsu city, like Yancheng, Xuzhou, Yangzhou, and others, you are out of luck. You will have take a day trip to process your paperwork. Some offices might except express deliveries, but think about that for a moment. This is your actual, real degree you are mailing, not a copy. Do you really trust the mail with such an important document? Do you trust the office worker to mail it back to you correctly?

Fortunately for those of us in Changzhou, we do have a validation office. What that process entails and costs is perhaps a post for another time, and besides, a new hire’s foreign officer should be able to help with the minutia. What I am more concerned with is how to get to the office in Changzhou. It is not easy if you do not know where you are going. Here are the steps in getting to that office.


  1. Go to Boai Road. This road is in the city center, and it’s between Nandajie and the downtown train station. In the area, you will will find a lot of shops that sell eBikes. So, if you see those places, you are on the right road. Keep looking.


2. On Boai Road, you will find an alley next to Donghai Securities. If somebody has given you a Chinese address and you have plugged it into a maps app, it will lead you here. This is where it gets tricky.


3. Walk into that alley. Keep your eyes to the left. Look for an entrance made of glass with three steps. Once you walk through the door, you should be able to go straight to an elevator. Take that elevator to the fourth floor.


4. Once you get out of the elevator, follow the hallway until you find the door pictured above. You will have to go through a walkway bridging from building to another.


5. Find this door. Yes, the above picture is blurry and unclear. Sue me. This was a darkly lit hallway, and I took these pictures on a weekend, when the office was closed.

In truth, the time window on degree validations is likely nearing its end. Most people who have to do this have probably already done this now. People who want to come to China, but who are still living in their home country, actually have to go to their nearest consulate to do this. That being said, some might have to go to this office for some reason, and it really is absurdly difficult to find if you don’t know where you are going.

6 thoughts on “Where To Get Your Degree Validated in Changzhou”

  1. You can get there using either of the door in the building, the ones on the left or the right. Actually, if you use the other door, you’ll save yourself some time – you won’t have to meander down the long corridors or go through a walkway bridging.

    1. I didn’t mention this because when I did this, I passed by an English language center that confused me for their new employee. Plus, the other entrance is going up four flights of stairs. I chose to describe the way to take the elevator because I thought most would opt for that convenience. That being said, you are totally correct.

  2. I had to get my degree authentified in Canada, not in China (and I’ve been living here for 2 years). A copy of my degree was notarized and then the Chinese embassy approved it. I heard it had to be done in your home country.
    Also, never heard of anyone asking for the REAL one… Usually schools will take care of the process. Can’t imagine having to take care of this.

    1. Apparently, this is a policy that has not been evenly enforced throughout China. Some people, like myself, did not have to get their degree validated to get their Z visa and the resulting residency permit. Starting like six to seven months ago, those of us living in Changzhou without official degree validations had to get them when switching employers. Having to take your REAL degree to an office is now part of that new policy. I had to do it with only weeks left on my existing residency permit, and it was indeed stressful.

      Essentially, the process, for me and some of my friends recently went like this … you had to take a pile of documents to the office on Boai Road outlined above. The official at his desk took scans of all those documents plus your physical degree. Then, all of that got sent to another office in Beijing to be officially “verified.” While waiting for that, my residency permit ran out of time, and I had to file for temporary “stay permit” extension. Schools normally do help, and mine did. However, all schools are not the same, and some are less helpful than others when it comes to these paperwork issues.

  3. Thanks for the post.
    Found the place no problem. Great directions . The staff at the office are very helpful and speak excellent English.

    1. They must have changed staff members. When I went, my foreign officer had to go with me to translate. They guy could speak some English… so maybe my FAO wasn’t needed. Anyhow, good to know. Thanks.

Comments are closed.